Monday, September 9, 2013

एकम् सत् | विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति ||

Phonetically in English..."ekam sat | viprah bahutha vadanti ||"...

Few years ago, there was an elaborate discussion on a Sunday, Sundays used to be a weekly holy-day in Madras :) 

...and the topic was an in-depth analysis of this Maha Vakya! I went about exploring it recently...

The first part is atleast theoretically straight forward "the truth is singular"...the word singular or one doesn't do justice to the sanskrit word "ekam"...

...wait a minute...I believe it actually means "only Oneness is the Truth"...yeah, this 'feels' closer to what I believe I experienced recently....! 

or...."the only Truth is Oneness"....hmmmm 

:) :)

Actually, all of what I typed above feel like "ekam sat"...(atleast how I see it!) 

If me (only just a beginner) can contemplate and provide a few interpretations to this Maha Vakya. I can only imagine how many wonderful and meaningful interpretations "Viprah" - realized Saints provide about Oneness/Truth!!

and hence एकम् सत् | विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति || 

No comments: